Thursday, January 6, 2011

Top five reads of 2010

Every Year I compile a list of the five books I read that year that left an impression. This can be because they were really good, really original, or so god-awful terrible that I could not help but love them. Luckily this year, there were none of the latter!

So, here's my list - please note that not all (or perhaps even any) of these books were actually RELEASED in 2010).

*

The Passage
Justin Cronin

Creepy, dark, engrossing. This novel darkened my thoughts and haunted my dreams. Well written, with good characterisation, it could be described as "The Strain" meets "The Stand" and is a original and interesting post-apocalyptic thriller with a different take on vampires. I wouldn't even really consider them vampires, personally. With more than a few surprises in store, this book took me on a journey I did not quite expect. It will be interesting to see where it continues to lead me.


*

Florence and Giles
John Harding

Exceptionally clever, written in the Narrator's own, poetic tongue of her semi-invented language. This is one of the stories when the intentions of the Narrator - in this case, 12 year old Florence, might not be quite as clear as her take on things makes... out. Lots of clever little plot touches, and delightful seasonings that allow your mind to wander beyond what our "heroine" sees and believes, and what reality actually holds. In this manner, it reminds me rather of Matt Haig. Very clever, quite chilling, and with a delightful sting in the tail, Harding does not beat you over the head with the plot twists, but allows you to come to your own conclusions. Excellent writing and highly recommended.

*

Gone (Gone #1)
Michael Grant

"Under the Dome" for teenagers - this is the story of a small American town who one day suffer from a strange problem - all of the people over 15 disappear - POOF, just like that. So, what happens to the survivors? How can a bunch of kids survive on their own? Suddenly they're forced to grow up fast. It's good guys vs the bad guys, with some grey bits in between, mutant animals, super powers and all in all, an engrossing and intriguing read. Huighly enjoyable, even if the writing style started off a wee bit shaky.


*

Mockingjay (Hunger Games #)
Suzanne Collins

Wow. What a book and what a conclusion. Engrossing, frightening and beautiful all at once, this is most certainly not for the young and sensitive. One of the best Young Adult series I have read in a long while draws to its bittersweet close and leaves me still feeling hungry for me. Absolutely marvellous and highly recommended.

*

Going Bovine
Libba Bray

Refreshingly original and bordering on the surreal, this book is a road trip with a difference. It's completely insane! When he is diagnosed with the human equivalent of Mad Cow Disease, Cameron has little to hope for except a quick and painless death. ...Until a punk angel shows up and offers him a solution. There is one person who has the cure - the mysterious Doctor X. The only problem is, nobody knows where he is, and his parellel-dimension jumping habits have allowed dark energy to flow into our world, Soon they will destroy it. Only Cameron can save it - with the help of a death-obsessed dwarf and a lawn gnome who claims to be a Viking god. Cameron's quest leads him a series of intriguing - and increasingly demented, challenges - including a church of happiness, a reality tv show, New Orleans, and many other things besides. This book is sheer brilliance - once you get past the somewhat immature language (first person, present tense narrative - so the language is most definitely in character).

*

These reviews are very short and succinct on account of being cross-posted from my WeRead account. I am now abandoning my WeRead account and will be posting all reviews here. This is NOT because WeRead have shifted servers to India but because they have lost all the reviews I have written there (over 500 books!) and my emails to them have bounced. I managed to salvage most of my 2010 reviews (by ploughing through my Facebook Profile page for several hours and the powers of cut-n-paste), but shall not trouble you by cross-posting them all here, except when I review a follow-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment