Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A new voice in NZ fantasy

The Silver Hawk: Chronicles of Tyria: Book 1 (Volume 1)The Silver Hawk: Chronicles of Tyria: Book 1 by Ms Beaulah H Pragg

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


I first came upon this book in a local bookstore and was intrigued - CreateSpace published novels are not readily available in NZ bookstores, and this one had a sign beside it proclaiming "local author". Upon coming home I did some further research and decided to purchase it on ebook. And I am very glad I did, for it was very well written. The plot was refreshing, and the author has some clever ideas - the concept of the two siblings - Mikael and Maat, watching a civilisation that they had created and in which they had "cast" themselves as gods, was rather nifty. It also worked well for the narrative, allowing the plot to skip several years in a heartbeat and follow the progress of various characters and their exploits. The politics also seemed quite well thought out, and the personalities of the characters well developed. With a couple of interesting twists and an ending that was complete-but-not-quite, it is definitely designed to make you seek out more. And do you know what? I think I shall!

Currently 99c on Amazon for the Kindle ebook

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment